1 – Introduction
This post will explain how to migrate/merge modifications from a development repository to a production one. Moreover will explain how to move development catalog modifications to a production one.
In order to provide some screenshots, I have used the same demo repository and catalog; I created 2 copies and I have applied few modifications.
So the screenshots won’t reflect a real and complex situation but at least will be helpful to understand all the steps.
First to go on with the migration, just take a look to the different object we want to migrate.
2 – Pre migration tasks
1. Backup the rpd file (RepositoryA) you want to migrate the modifications to
2. Backup the rpd file (RepositoryB) you want to migrate the modifications from
3. Backup the catalog (CatalogA) you want to migrate the modification from
4. Backup the catalog (CatalogB) you want to migrate the modification to
3 – Migrate/Merge RPD modifications
Using the repository merging utility
1. Create a blank rpd file (RepositoryC, ORIGINAL) with the Administration tool, save it and close it.
2. Open the RepositoryA in offline mode
3. Click on file/merge, select the original repository (RepositoryC, the blank one) and the modified one (RepositoryB).
4. Specify the “current” value in the “decision” menu list and click merge
Using the manual procedure
1. Open the RepositoryA in offline mode
2. Delete all the items (if present) that you will import from RepositoryB (Tables, columns, variables, etc. from all the physical, logical and presentation levels).
2. Open the RepositoryB rpd offline
3. Copy the desired physical layer items in the RepositoryA physical layer
4. Copy the desired logical layer items in the RepositoryA logical layer
5. Copy the desired presentation layer items in the RepositoryA presentation layer
6. Re-define manually the RepositoryB groups with and permissions in the RepositoryA where needed
7. Do the same with all the variables, initialization blocks, etc.
4 – Migrate the catalog
1. Open 2 catalog managers
2. In one catalog manager open CatalogA
5. Copy and paste the items from CatalogB to CatalogA (In the example I’ve just had to copy the new dashboard).
Finally we can restart the services and take a look to the resultin environment.